Links to advice and support

General support when a relationship ends

Government information for parents on the law relating to children, marriage, separation and divorce, and family mediation. This includes information about the divorce process.

Sorting Out Separation – Useful website providing help with drawing up a plan if you are thinking about or in the process of separating

Sorting out your Finances – Useful Guide for people going through a divorce

Gingerbread provides another useful website with advice and support when a relationship ends

Family mediation and eligibility for legal aid

More information about family mediation at National Family Mediation

Find out if you may be eligible for free family mediation:-   you can use this legal aid eligibility calculator 

Relationship and parenting counselling and support

Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships:- Relationship counselling service, divorce and separation consultation, parenting together service and a parents as partners programme

Relate:-  Relationship counselling for all, including those going through separation

Family Lives:- Support for families and children, including on relationships and difficult behaviour

Support where there has been domestic violence

Solace Women’s Aid provide a free advice line open to women and professionals who want practical advice and information on domestic or sexual violence (London only). Tel: 0808 8025565

Women’s Aid:- Support for women where there has been domestic violence

Men’s Advice Line:- Advice for male victims of domestic violence whether in same sex or heterosexual relationships, free helpline 0808 801 0327

Rights of Women are committed to informing, educating and empowering women concerning their legal rights

They have a free family law telephone advice line on 0207 251 6577

Supporting parents and children

Supporting children through separation – useful information for parents at the link below

Child Maintenance Options is a free service that provides impartial information and support to help separated couples sort out their child maintenance arrangements:

National Association of Child Contact Centres – Promoting safe contact between parents and children , helpline 0845 4500 280

Child Law Advice Line  offers specialist legal advice over the telephone to children, their families and carers: Tel: 0300 300 5480 For fathers – Free expert advice and support from legal issues, child development to financial advice and everything in between.

Child Line – website covers a range of topics to help children, including divorce and separation, self harm and bullying. Free helpline for children 0800 1111

Legal advice

We cannot recommend a solicitor to you but we always suggest that you get legal advice at some stage during the mediation process.

Resolution is a national organisation of family lawyers committed to non-confrontational divorce, separation and other family problems. There is a list of solicitors who are members of resolution on their website. You can put in your post code and also find solicitors who still do legal aid for family law in certain circumstances

Find a resolution member

There is a CAB Advice Bureau  at the Central Family Court  where you can get free legal advice on family matters. You need to make an appointment by phone them on Tel: 0203 475 4373 or filling out a form at

The Co-operative Legal  Services have a very useful webpage with information about the legal aspects of divorce/separation, dividing property and finances and making the right decisions for your children:  Family and Relationships Law

Making a court application and MIAMS

Before you make a court application, you will need to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM).  You will then need to get a form signed by a mediator to confirm that you have attended a MIAMS. These forms are available form any family court office  or can be downloaded from  court order form finder

The Central Family Court is based at First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn WC1V6NP  Contact details

There is a Personal Support Unit (PSU) based at the Central Family Court where trained volunteers help people who are facing civil court proceedings without legal representation. They are open 9.30am to 4pm Monday to Friday. More information at

Alternatives to litigation

Arbitration is a type of private dispute resolution, in which the parties select an independent and impartial arbitrator to resolve their dispute. Crucially, they agree in advance that the arbitrator’s decision will be binding on them. An IFLA scheme for the resolution of ‘private law’ children disputes was launched on 18 July 2016. More information can be found at:

Money advice services

Government sponsored website providing advice on managing money. Has information specific to divorce and separation

Citizen’s Advice Bureau guide, with wide ranging information

Help in finding an independent financial adviser

Advice and online calculator for DWP benefits